Monday, October 12, 2009

Shakespeare in the Park


Mimes are the only truth I understand anymore - where actions speak.

Overcast skies and a tousle of raindrops were welcome for our outing to the Maryland Renaissance Festival on Saturday. Every year, it seems more people are in costume. My first visit was when my daughter, Sara, was only 4 years old. The Renn Fest was a novelty then and many thought it a strange way to spend a day.

Sara, my son, Dylan, Dylan's friend Jessica, and Ken (ex-husband) set off to see Shakespeare Scum, the glassblower, to eat food "on a stick", to shop for Renaissance wear, to see other shows and to people watch.

We started at Ken's house, where he cooked breakfast and presented Sara with her birthday present - Sara, the crafty, is thrilled to have such a wonderful sewing machine.



The glassblower put me in mind to write a story titled, "The Glassblower's Lover." She's a leather maker and sews his leather shorts. He brings her flowers in the vase he made the same color as her eyes.



Ken generously found proper crowns for Sara and me. The last time I had a flower head dresses from the Renn Fest, I had not yet seen 30. I kept it on through the evening.



Sara got her henna tattoo. I was tempted by the tree of life or the Chinese symbol for lucky, but resisted tagging my body, even temporarily. Sara has such lovely hands and her artist was very skilled.


And this lady has her baby in waiting tattooed. She shimmered.





Shakespeare Scum did not disappoint with the bloody drama, Othello, a tightly constructed domestic drama about a blond innocent wife and a husband misguided into suspicion and jealousy by those who pose as his friends.
"Trifles light as air
Are to the jealous confirmations strong
As proofs of holy writ."
Othello, 3. 3

I was offered a stellar assortment of knights to remember. But, though I may blush to admit it, although the courage and honor of these knights be evident, I rejected them all for this shimmering prospect - this awesome display of charm, refinement, and resources as befitting to a woman of my needs.

Then we head off to dinner at the Melting Pot. I had never dined there, so it was a unique experience for me. However, Dylan is a pro and is comfortable in the steam fog of the pots.

Ken and I did love once upon a time, and in this time we still regard all the gifts that union presented with gratitude - and mutual respect and kindness toward one another. What is more remarkable - that a divorced couple could spend happy time together with their family or that traditions from the 1500-1700 would be so popular? What will be the entertainment venue for those in 2500? 3000?

It is the very error of the moon;
She comes more nearer earth than she was wont,
And makes men mad.

Othello, 5. 2

No comments: