I have a little trust - a snug few to whom I would give a key to my home, a diary to hold in trust, a secret. There are not too many. Few as five, I think.
That makes for a small gate; a narrow space. I wish for less caution, more faith. I have partitioned out sectors of trust. When posed with the question, "Do you trust me?" I always countered, "With what?"
Trust you to pick up the dry cleaning?
Trust you to not embarrass me in front of my friends?
Trust you to give me credit for my work on the proposal?
Trust you to lift me out of the road if I am injured?
Trust , , ,
I make a fool of myself and you keep the story to yourself?
that you will challenge me to not give up?
for forgiveness and acceptance?
that if I hold out my heart, you will not drop it?
Can you trust me?
With what?
You can trust that if I promise something, I will do it.
You can trust that if I tell you something is absolutely true, it is.
But I don't promise lightly and the "truth" is so malleable given the light in this universe.
My Christmas wish this year is to develop an ability to trust and to extend my ability to be trustworthy. What size stocking do you suppose I need for that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
“We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy” Walter Anderson
Post a Comment